May 27, 2011 by Heather
- Having dinner with Natalie and James (names have been changed to protect the innocent), who I work with at the Cupboard, and who also just happen to be married to each other, and also just happen to be the first friends we’ve made here in Fort Collins. I mean, I would call them friends. I hope we didn’t completely weird them out. We had a wonderful time at their house.. good conversation, lots of laughs, great food, a free North Face coat for Andrew (thanks, James), and a totally random meeting of James’ brother who happens to work at a bike shop that Andrew applied to back in March. Totally random meeting turned into Andrew having a job interview tomorrow at said bike shop. Totally random? I think not. God works in strange, mysterious, and perfect ways. It is so cool.
- Riding my bike to work the past two days. Listen. It is my new favorite thing. I. Love. It. Today I worked the 12-8 shift, so it was just almost dark on my ride home. Huge heavy raindrops were also falling from the sky. It was… refreshing, enlivening. Rain makes smells so much more vibrant, and people had mowed their yards today and were doing laundry and it smelled so good. There are also lots and lots of wisteria bushes by the road, and those are so wonderfully fragrant. If I could have closed my eyes to better focus on the smells around me I would have. BUT that would’ve, no doubt, ended in a bike crashing disaster.
- My little sister is going to have a DAUGHTER in 4.5 months. I will have a niece. And she will be so beautiful, inside and out. I cannot wait to tell her about how crazy her mama is when she’s not in mama-mode. I will also buy her bright fuchsia lipstick, glitter eyeliner, and happy meals. Don’t you wish I was your aunt?
- Andrew, the permanent boyfriend. I arrived home from work tonight, pretty damp and ready for the weekend. He greeted me with a “Hello and welcome. I am Sir Andrew, your chef tonight.” He had a handwritten menu, our little table all set, music from our wedding reception playlist playing. Oh, and most importantly, he had dinner ready. We had: Fresh Tossed Salad with Walnuts, French Bread, Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper Brussels Sprouts, Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes, and for dessert Homemade in the Shade Blue Bell Ice Cream. The wording is taken from his menu, btw. Lemme tell you, it was gooood! He is such a blessing. I just love the guy so much. He… completes me.
- THREE DAY WEEKENDS, HOLLA! I didn’t realize I had one until I looked at my schedule this morning. Since I’ve been in training, I haven’t worked weekends. I think I work next weekend, though. But not this one! Ahh.. so nice.
- “My Offering” by Nichole Nordeman. The lyrics paint such a beautiful picture of all of creation being in awe of God and his power. It is also, I think, about blooming where you are planted. Not only that, but also trusting that God has planted you there for a reason, and that He will guide you and give you everything you need, in His perfect timing. Things don’t always make sense. And when that is the case, it is nice to know that the same God who is writing the story of my life is the same God who skillfully crafted the mountains I can see out my window. He has done big stuff. Bigger than I can imagine. He died so I can live, abundantly and eternally. How can I not trust him completely with my life?
If You made me like the grass that is green
Growing tall and covering the hills above me
Maybe I would pray for sunshine and a little rain
To fall now and then to make me lovely
I could be a place where sheep could graze
Or barefoot feet could play
And I would grow and grow and hope You’d bend down low
To hear me sing my offering
Open up the heavens, open up the sky
All of Your creation wants to testify
I have a song, so let the earth sing along
‘Cause I just want to praise You
If You made me to be a cloud in the sky
Found the perfect place way up high where I could hover
Maybe I would pray for skies that were blue
Or a sunset or two to show Your colors
Or maybe I might be
A mountain strong and steep
But I would try and stand as tall as I can
And I would sing my offering
And the sun every morning cannot wait to shine
And the stars every evening are all standing by to light the sky
And give the rocks and the stones voices of their own If we forget to sing praises to our King