pin THIS.

February 23, 2012 by Heather

It is so weird being a girl sometimes.  I mean, it’s great fun and all, and I’d certainly rather be a girl than a boy, but it is just a real barrel of monkeys most days.  And I mean that in a confusing all-the-monkeys-are-tangled-up and not a oh-let’s-hook-these-together-wow-this-is-so-fun kind of way.

Take, for example, Pinterest.  Freaking Pinterest.  I really have a love/hate relationship with it.  I love it because it is very inspiring and helpful on some levels, but then on a lot of other levels it really stresses me out.  My hair will never look like 99.7% of those pictures.  And what is up with all of the funky, really freaking hard nail polish jobs on there?  Who in the world has the time (nay, the patience) to do tiny little chevron stripes on all of their nails?  I’d rather go dunk my hand in a pile of dog poop than attempt that.

Also, all the crazy amazing pictures of kitchens and bathrooms and other rooms.  It makes me think that my wonderful little dwelling (that I LOVED before I saw the picture of that fabulous laundry room) is just not good enough, when it is more than good enough.  I think that Pinterest, like a lot of other media sources out there, puts pressure on us gals to be/do/look/act like some sort of superhuman.  And most days I am doing really good to get out of these yoga pants and have the dishes and laundry done and some sort of dinner prepared.  You can forget about hunting down a bunch of old ball jars and spraying them with chalkboard paint and covering them in burlap and then filling them with handmade fabric flowers and hanging them from the trees outside.  Just forget it.

Another example that bothers the girl in me:  some blogs out there.  Most of the pictures on Pinterest are acutally from blogs.  There are all of these websites that showcase almost a fantasy-type life, where everything is picture perfect and spotless and wonderfully thought out and hand crafted.  Some are fashion blogs, mommy blogs, cooking blogs.  Again, it (in my opinion) gives an unrealistic view of what life is really like, day in and day out.  Which is fine, on occasion.  I am all for some good photography and photo styling and such.  Don’t get me wrong, there are a lot of blogs out there that do a wonderful and amazing job at portraying pretty things in a more down to earth kind of way.

For example, a fashion blog I really enjoy is that of my friend from way back when, Kara.  She is so thrifty and stylish and talks about it in a way that is accessible and fun.  Her pictures are so cute, and she is gorgeous.  But she isn’t doing all these weird poses or being super vain about it.

I am just really tired of constantly comparing myself to some certain, made-up thing that I think I should be living up to or looking like.  Girls are so bad about that, aren’t we?  And it really sucks, because we are all fabulous just as ourselves, doing our own individual thang.  Haha, thang.

Of course, then there is my blog, where I bitch and moan and rant and rave and talk about farting and the lumpiness of my upper thighs.  Try living up to THIS, home fries.

A thing of true, undeniable beauty.

And yes, those are maternity overalls.  Yes, I wore them in public.  Also, please notice how I took the time to cock my left leg up, thus making me look super sexy and very maternal-chic.

Happy Thursday 🙂

Advertisements

10 thoughts on “pin THIS.

1. Sarah says:

hottie!! 😉 but really, you’re right. pinterest is stressful in that I get super jealous of all the beautiful things I know I will never have. however, all the toddler projects? those are awesome. I’ve done a ton with Logan. THAT has been inspiring. keep rocking those overalls! you and Logan would go together like peas and carrots.

2. Lauren says:

Haha! Heather, I so enjoy reading your blog! I laugh out loud EVERY time! I’m praying for you as you get so close to meeting your little guy. It is going to be the best experience of your life!

On another, you are absolutely right about Pinterest! On one hand, I enjoy looking at the beautiful homes and ideas, but on the other, I find myself becoming jealous of all the things I don’t have instead of being thankful for all of the things I DO have.

Well, keep up the blogging! I look forward to the next one. Let me know if you need anything baby-related or anything else!

• You are so sweet! We went on a tour of the hospital’s labor & delivery floor yesterday and it made it all feel very real… we are super excited!

• Lauren says:

The nurses in Labor and Delivery AND in the Mommy and Baby Units are Uh-Mazing! I actually enjoyed my stay at Baptist! I’m sure there are tons of things that you will think of later that you need for baby, but is there anything Daniel and I can get you guys that are need now? I mean, I can just kind of get some things that I didn’t know we needed until after Ben arrived. Would that work!

So excited for you!

• Aw. I got really lucky & one of my best friends gave me a TON of baby boy clothes that her now-2-year-old wore, so we are pretty good on stuff like that. You don’t have to get us anything!!! Diapers?? Ha.

• Lauren says:

I can definitely do that! We go through an average of 12 diapers a day! If you think of anything else you need, don’t hesitate to ask.

• 12 diapers a day. Holy moly.

• Lauren says:

Yea… and when we were breastfeeding (i had trouble producing enough milk…) it was even more diapers than that! Breastmilk comes and goes VERY quickly in comparison to formula. If you are going to breastfeed, I would suggest you get a pump if you don’t already have one. Medela is, by far, the best brand. It’s the kind they will teach you to use in the hospital. If you don’t buy one, you can rent from the hospital– that’s what we did.

3. Thanks for the shout out. It’s really easy to get into a habit of comparing yourself to other bloggers that seam to have a perfect life, perfect hair, etc. I just have to keep in mind that I’m a real person that works 40 plus hours a week, has a real budget, and a husband with no interest in photography. I make it work with what I’ve got. I’m glad that some people appreciate the fact that I keep it real. I’ll keep up the imperfection. Haha!

4. Christy says:

Aaaamen! I just imagine that they moved all the clutter out of the picture and it’s behind them. That’s definitely what I did when I took pictures of my house for facebook. For one of the pictures, you may have thought I cropped out the floor so I could highlight the walls or ceiling or something…but it’s because the floor was about 80% covered in junk that had not (and still has not) found an organized place to live. It’s quite the reminder to be authentic. Thanks for sharing!